KMS Question

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 04:59:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich at pukruppa.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Actually this is my question: I cannot kldload these two modules
>>> because I don't have them. I believed I wouldn't need them since
>>> I don't have any Intel-chipset. Do I need them anyway?
>>

>> ok, then we need more information. What kind of machine do you have? CPU
>> and GPU?
>
> I have got an amd64 CPU and some ATI Radeon graphics chip. As far as I have
> heard the latter isn't well supported, but I don't mind for now: It should
> at least be able to run the default vesa driver.
>

>> To my knowledge, KMS needs an Intel i3, i5 or i7 to work. You cannot use
>> KMS with all other CPUs.
>>
>> You also do not need it if you have another GPU you want to use it in the
>> system.
>
> So I have to patch my base system anyway?
> Where can I get the latest patches?
>
> Peter.
>
>> Erich

11 June is just about the date that the updates were all merged into
9-Stable. I suggesting updating sources to at least 15 Jun (or, better
still, today) and buidl that. No additional patches are needed. DO NOT
SET "WITH_KMS"! KMS is ONLY for Intel CPU/GPU processors. You can give
it a try WITH_NEW_XORG, though. If you don't have KMS, you will not
have i915-kms.ko, so don't worry. (Maybe someone will volunteer to
write an AMD/ATi KMS driver some day, but no one has to date.)

You might try an initial startx with no Xorg.conf file. It usually
works. You probably won't have a need for acpi_call, either, and it is
from the acpi_call port and not part of the base system. It lets you
poke at ACPI paramters.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com