Xorg doesn't start

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Jan 24 04:36:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 24 January 2012 09:38:28 Piotr Kubaj wrote:
>> 1. I did, but it doesn't help.
>> 2. I compiled with hald and dbus and they are running.
>> 3. It's not a configuration problem. It worked flawlessly for 2 months.

It is possible that an upgrade broke X. Unfortunately I don't own
every piece of hardware so I can't test every possible configuration.
Does using portdowngrade help at all? Perhaps we could work from there
to figure out exactly what went wrong.

I'm sorry that your having problems with newer versions of X.

> so, what changed?
>
> I have had several time the experience that a small upgrade broke X for me. It always could be fixed with some playing in rc.conf and xorg.conf.

It would help if you could send send small "case studies" to the x11@
mailing list. I just upgraded foo but when I tweaked bar it fixed the
problem. I'm not looking for user error stories but legitimate
configuration required issues.
--
Eitan Adler