Strange problem: some remote xterms would not startup

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Aug 21 15:42:46 UTC 2012

On 20.08.2012 18:43, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Solaris 8's xterm would likely be the X11R6 version, while Solaris 10
> might/might not be the one that I maintain.  If
>
> 	xterm -v
>
> prints a version number, my curiosity about that would be satisfied.
On both systems `xterm -v' simply attempts to start -- succeeding on 8 and
failing on 10 as reported, but not reporting version on either.

Running ident on both shows the exact same version-string:

    $XConsortium: main.c /main/231 1995/09/13 10:47:00 kaleb $

I am guessing, whatever changes happened to xterm since then, they did not
affect main.c :-)

If there is any other tell-tale sign (strings `which xterm` | grep /foo/ ?), let
me know...

But my question remains: what could be lacking in my X-server, that (some
versions of) xterm require to run? Thanks! Yours,

    -mi