Problem with resolution in VESA mode with HP 8200 desktop

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:34:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Manuel Trujillo (TooManySecrets)
<toomany at toomany.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First, I will apologize about my bad english...
>
> I've got at work a pc HP 8200 with the "fatidic" Intel Sandy
> Bridge/i915/3000 VGA (http://pastebin.com/mt5iB0aH)
>
> I understand the new Intel drivers are not into the new FreeBSD 9.0
> (now in Beta 3), but why I cannot run in VESA mode with a resolution
> of 1920x1080? I only can obtain 1024x768 resolution in VESA mode :-/
> Is it a normal restriction? Sorry but I'm very ignorant about it.
>
> Here it is the Xorg.0.log of the actual system (a Linux):
> http://pastebin.com/Bn03uJ0n
>
> My problem is also that I cannot make a test, but only with a
> live-cd/dvd like pc-bsd.
>
> Could you help me, please?
> Thank you!!

As I understand it (and I probably don't), VESA mode will only allow
the resolutions offered by BIOS and does not support wide-screen
aspect ratios. I have never seen a BIOS that offered VESA support for
any resolution greater than 1024x768, so you are stuck for the moment.

Work in support for Intel's "HD 3000" graphics, as well as other
recent Intel graphics i a work in progress. If you are willing, you
can try the development code. It is reported to work on at least some
Sandy Bridge chi9ps and no failures are reported. It does lack one
important functionality, though. No way to switch from X to a VTY at
this time. This is not a problem, but just has yet to be written at
this time.

The information on this is at http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU. kib
does not appear to have updated the patch info on the page recently.
You will want to to run the 9.2 patch set and xorg-dev.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com