suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 09:00:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:46:23 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > Just a quick reminder as it seems to be forgotten too often...radeonhd
> > has not been supported or updated in a long time and is generally a
> > bad choice. Modern Radeon (4xxx) is supported much better with the ati
> > driver which is still getting some love.
> >
> > Since Radeon is open-source, you might expect good support, but it
> > also depends on kernel mode setting and requires custom KMS DRI code
> > in the kernel which I am not sure anyone is working on for FreeBSD.
> >
> > Maybe when the Intel KMS is completed...
>
> The Foundation has expressed interest in funding someone to work on it.
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=27255
>
> Spread the word.
>
> Kostik Belousov has said he won't be workin on the radeon driver.
> Don't know why.  If anyone can be found to work on it, I'm pretty sure a
> bunch of people would be willing to individually contribute additional
> funding or hardware.

I don't think he wants to take on TTM.  Could also be that he doesn't
have any hardware, which would IMO be a major problem for whomever
takes this on considering the rate at which AMD/ATI brings new chips
to market.  High-end cards, which are usually the first to market, can
be quite expensive.

--
Gary Jennejohn