Xorg lockup in drmwtq state

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Wed May 11 15:22:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 07:36:02PM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 03:17:36PM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
> >
> > In the last week I have started to see the situation described in the
> > subject several times.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate some help about this issue, since I don't know
> > where to look at to better diagnose it.
> >
> > The screen locks up, but the mouse cursor still moves.
> >
> > I can log in via ssh and from top I see this line for Xorg:
> >
> > 1563 root   1  44    0   388M   326M drmwtq  1   5:05  0.00% Xorg
> >
> > the last line from Xorg.0.log reads:
> >
> > [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> >
> > I updated the system on Apr 28 just after cvsupping the latest
> > 8-stable.
> > I also upgraded to Firefox 4 on that day.
> >
> > I mention Firefox 4 because these lockups are always happening while
> > using FF4. It also looks like thay are happening when I use FF4 while I
> > have at least one VirtualBox machine running.

Just an update. I just had a lockup without Virtualbox running, but it
anyway happened in firefox4.

It looks like this lockup happens when the load on the machine is high,
and firefox is running with many windows/tabs, or at least this is the
situation I had at the last lockup.

This al looks very nasty. I'm trying to give as much data as I can to
isolate this, if anyone is interested/has time.

I'm also not quite sure if the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT trick really
works around the issue the issue. I'm now testing with it set in
my .xsession, so all X clients get it.

Also, cairo was already compiled without GL.

If the problem still persists I'll have to disable acceleration, this
should stop the lockups. :D

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>