xkbcomp warnings when starting OOo

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Wed Mar 23 10:54:13 UTC 2011

I've just noticed that whenever I open a document in OOo, I get the
warnings below (from xkbcomp) in /var/log/xdm.log.  I initially
thought this was new with Xorg 7.5.1 but I've had a look back thru
my backups and found this existed with Xorg Server 1.6.1.

I've done some ktracing and rummaging through the sources and found
that xkbcomp is being run from
xorg-server-1.7.7/xkb/ddxLoad.c:XkbDDXCompileKeymapByNames(), though
I'm not sure what it triggering it.  The Xserver writes the keymap
description to xkbcomp which writes the compiled map into
/usr/local/share/X11/xkb/compiled/$hostname-0.xkm which the Xserver
then reads and deletes.  The offending part of the keymap description
looks like the xkb_geometry "pc105" section of
/usr/local/share/X11/xkb/geometry/pc but all the shape names have been
removed.

The shape descriptions are written by
xorg-server-1.7.7/xkb/xkbout.c:XkbWriteXKBGeometry() - which does
attempt to write names using XkbAtomText().  At this stage, I'm
not sure why the relevant names don't exist.

Does anyone know:
- why OOo is triggering these messages
- why the Xserver isn't reporting the relevant names
- any fix?

Warning message:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

--
Peter Jeremy