FBSD 8.2R can't startx

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 20 13:38:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Gua Chung Lim wrote:

>> Without a .xinitrc, the system one (/usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc) is
>> used.  That starts twm as you describe.  So it's good news--xorg is
>> working.
> Probably yes.
>
>> Which probably indicates a problem with the way KDE is being started, or
>> there may be a problem with a KDE component.  See
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html#X11-WM-KDE

> But GNOME could not start either.
> Is there anything stay in between xorg and DE?

.xinitrc is just a shell script.  Anything it runs before the window
manager has to either complete or be run in the background, or it will
prevent the script from continuing.  For example, I use devilspie, a
utility which can move windows around.  In .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
devilspie &
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

Please show your .xinitrc.