AMD E-350

Adam K Kirchhoff akirchhoff135014 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 12:15:22 UTC 2011

On 03/14/2011 07:26 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick question ...  I plan to buy a small fanless
> box based on the AMD E-350 processor.  The box is intended
> to be used for web surfing in the living room, and possibly
> also as a media player.  Is the built-in Radeon graphics of
> the AMD E-350 supported by FreeBSD + Xorg?  Or will I have
> to install "that other OS"?
>
> Best regards
>     Oliver

I can't say definitively if modesetting will work with the radeon driver
on FreeBSD, but I can say definitively that it doesn't provide any 2D or
3D acceleration.  Acceleration requires KMS on HD5xxx GPUs and higher,
and that includes the fusion APUs.

On a somewhat related note...  I heard that the work the FreeBSD
Foundation and iXsystems is paying for in regards to KMS
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2011-February/001361.html)
is limited to Intel GPUs.  Can someone please confirm or deny that
depressing bit of information?

Adam