Graphic card that works?

Allen Unix.Hacker at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 11:54:38 UTC 2011

On 6/24/2011 3:56 AM, Michal Varga wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 22:13 +0200, Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could you tell me a graphic card (pci express) that will work fine
>> on FreeBSD? (If i can use a dual screen it will be better).
>>
>> I'm using a Nvidia 460 but my box is stable as a Windows3.1 :(
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Regards.
>

> Nvidia GTX 460 works perfectly fine on FreeBSD and same goes for any
> modern/supported Nvidia hardware (which is basically all of them, save
> for some brain-dead stuff like Nvidia Optimus).
>
> Your stability issues are most probably caused by something else, or at
> least something more specific than simple combination of Nvidia 460 and
> FreeBSD.
>
> m.

Nvidia has always worked well for me as well; Nvidia is one of the only
companies that makes GOOD drivers specifically for FreeBSD. They
actually make the driver, and they have one for more than Windows unlike
some companies. Whenever I have an Nvidia card, I generally know I'll be
doing fine with good hardware, as they have a driver for FreeBSD, Linux,
and Solaris.