VESA support for wide screens?

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 23:53:41 UTC 2011

On Jun 23, 2011 11:42 AM, "Jung-uk Kim" <jkim at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 June 2011 05:22 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I nave a new laptop with a 1600x900 display and an Intel 3000
> > (Sandybridge) GPU. Looks like no direct support until GEM and KMS
> > is available. Until then, I'd really like a display that is not
> > squashed. I am not at all familiar with the vesa driver, so I have
> > no idea how to proceed.
> >
> > The only resolution I see offered by the vesa driver is 1024x768.
> > Can I add a mode (preferably using xrandr) to get the pixels back
> > to being square? And, can I get it to use the full resolution?
>
> If your VESA BIOS does not support the desired mode, there is no way,
> unfortunately.
>
> Jung-uk Kim

So, the video BIOS will report all available vesa modes and the driver will
just make those available to the system. Or, on this case, one that does not
even match the physical aspect ratio of the screen. I'm bummer. Guess I'll
just have to hope that GEM/ONE shows up soon.

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Retired
kob at gmail.com