VESA support for wide screens?

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 21:22:34 UTC 2011

I nave a new laptop with a 1600x900 display and an Intel 3000
(Sandybridge) GPU. Looks like no direct support until GEM and KMS is
available. Until then, I'd really like a display that is not squashed.
 I am not at all familiar with the vesa driver, so I have no idea how
to proceed.

The only resolution I see offered by the vesa driver is 1024x768. Can
I add a mode (preferably using xrandr) to get the pixels back to being
square? And, can I get it to use the full resolution?

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com