Multi-Gesture touchpad in Acer Aspire One

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Jun 17 11:59:12 UTC 2011

Hi Matthias cc x11@

> Hello,
>
> I'm running 9-CURRENT and xorg-7.5 (from ports) on a laptop Acer Aspire
> One D250 and all works as it should. The laptop has a touchpad which
> says about itself on a sticker 'Multi-Gesture' with some picture of
> using two fingers, for example for scrolling up and down; is this
> supported somehow in Xorg;

I have a Multi-Gesture sticker on my
	Acer Aspire 5741-333G32Mn Model No. NEW 70 + Win 7 Home Prem OA,
It looks to me ( speculating) from curved arrows as if for eg picture rotate ?
	(Maybe similar to dual finger shrink & expand/ zoom on some Mac)

I havent put BSD on my Acer just yet, so just the Win it came with.
  ( No idea what X support might be, but if by chance your MS-Win is deleted,
  I could try what my mouse does with Win, except I've no idea what MS
  software to try the mouse With, so would need someone to tell me that. )

I googled & found in German
  http://www.bizuweb.com/multi-gesture-touchpad-auf-dem-acer-aspire-one-a150/

Pointed to page in English:
  http://www.mydigitallife.info/enable-multi-touch-gesture-finger-scroll-momentum-and-chiralmotion-on-synaptics-touchpad-in-windows-7vistaxpserver/
  Enable Multi-Touch Gesture (Finger Scroll, Momentum and ChiralMotion)
  on Synaptics TouchPad in Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server
  Synaptics TouchPad
  "for marketing reason, Synaptics official standard drivers for
  most Synaptics TouchPads does not support multi-touch Synaptics
  Gestures. Synaptics' drivers lock gesture features on all
  non-supported OEM notebooks and laptop PCs, except for certain
  gadgets such as ASUS EEE PC. So multi-touch is disabled even
  though touchpad hardware does support them."

(Sounds like most MS customers get their hardware
crippled by the driver unless they pay more )

For us I guess
	echo 'boot_verbose="yes"' >> /boot/loader.conf ; reboot ;
	dmesg | grep -i synaptics
	Then web search eg x-org for more synaptics driver info after ?
Good luck, (& I'll hope to hear what you may find please :-)

> as well on some other netpook I own (EeePC 900) a hit with two fingers
> at the same time acts as pressing the middle mouse button; this does not
> work with the Acer Aspire One, a nice feature I'm missing for cut&Paste
> while writing stuff...
>
> Any hints? Thanks
>
> 	matthias

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.