current support

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 21:06:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic at sbb.rs> wrote:
> I'm interesting to get laptop on the link in a near future:
>
> http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90422143/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e320-685d086.asp
>
> What is the current support for it? I assume it spread worldwide
> in a 2-6 months, so I could wait for 9.0 or alike.

Intel 3000 (Sandy Bridge) graphics support is, at best, in alpha
testing. ATM you will need to use VESA, which pretty much sucks, but
does work. The optional Radeon HD6630 is not supported by the current
software. Others will have to comment on where support development
stands, but I believe it is dependent on Kernel Mode Setting, but not
the same as for the Intel graphics..

The standard wireless is a RealTek that is unsupported by FreeBSD at
this time, but all of the optional Intel Centrino cards are supported.
At least in the USA, the low-end Intel card is the same price, but I'd
suggest moving to at least the 6205AGN if it is available in your
location. FreeBSD does not support 'N' at this time, but serious work
is in progress, so there is hope that it won't be too much longer.
(i.e. months and not years.) N support is VERY complex, so it is
taking quite a while.

I am uncertain of the support for the camera.

Other then those, all should be OK. I am hoping that support for the
graphics will be pretty stable soon. I have seen several reports of
success for those running the development code. (NOTE: Major kernel
patches so this is currently only an option for those willing to spend
some time on installing it. Check out freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org mil
archives for references to KMS for more information.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com