Intel GPU kernel driver

Andrey Kosachenko andrey.kosachenko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 19:54:15 UTC 2011

Hi, Konstantin,

First of all thanks for time and efforts you've spent on the challenge
in question!

I tried to test patches (actually at the moment of writing the latest
one is all.4.1.patch) on my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad T410) with
integrated Intel graphics card (Ironlake, 0x00468086).

To make a long story short, basically it works over here (saying that I
meant X server comes up, LVDS operates in native resolution 1440x900,
didn't notice any issues with typical desktop applications (text
editors, xterm, browser (flash is played smoothly) and so forth)).

I do really understand that this is pretty early stage of the project,
so I did not expect working composite effects and stuff like that
(actually I tried desktop effects but X segfaults:

===
(II) intel(0): EDID vendor "LEN", prod id 16438
(II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
(II) intel(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0  114.06  1440 1488 1520 2044  900
903 909 930 -hsync -vsync (55.8 kHz)
(II) intel(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0  114.06  1440 1488 1520 2204  900
903 909 1035 -hsync -vsync (51.8 kHz)
Segmentation fault: 11 at address 0xc

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault: 11). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
          at http://wiki.x.org
  for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
(WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -22
===

so turned it off.

Anyway things I saw definitely made me think about withdrawal of laptop
from my girlfriend (who I granted it nearly a year ago since it was not
operational under freebsd) ;).

So far I'd like to admin 2 issues:

- switching between vts (Ctrl+Alt+F[1-9]) doesn't work over here,
attempt to switch to consoles within range [1-8] leads to garbled screen
(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WmDhn1X-Ze0/Thn-O5dfeiI/AAAAAAAAABM/WIX3co3DQaM/s720/20110710_003-1.jpeg)
though 9-th (occupied by X) is always displayed properly;

- attempt to play video (by means of vlc) freezes machine completely. I
hasn't spotted it yet (system is installed in zfs and there is no
freebsd-swap partition, so I didn't manage to make savecore leave smth.
for further investigation);

PS:
I didn't mention any listings (pciconf,dmesg,...) however if those
considered to be useful/helpful just let me know.

thanks!

--
WBR,
Andrey Kosachenko