Intel GPU kernel driver

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 18:34:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 09:19:41PM +0300, George Liaskos wrote:

> >> Ok, i believe i got everything. I did a modprobe -v drm debug=6
> >> http://pastebin.com/iEihVxQt

> >> head
> >
> > I am not completely sure what is going on, but driver tries to operate
> > with modelines that have 0 as vertical refresh.
> >
> > Do you have a Xorg config set ? Try to specify some reasonable range
> > for the monitor vertical refresh on the LVDS output. Or specify the
> > mode using xrandr after X started.
>
> Some progress, when a second monitor is connected a simple xrandr -q
> makes everything to work great!
>
> http://i.imgur.com/uStjz.jpg
You did not specified, whether you hard-coded the mode line, or vsync
range in the Xorg config. Did it magically started to work on its own
after CRT was attached to the VGA connector ?

> Is it possible to be a bug in drm edid parser? I found some patches from 2009
> for linux but the code has changed significantly, just a thought.
>
> If you have any idea how to debug this please let me know.
There are two potential sources of the problem:

First is that I still do not activate the BIOS BAR, relying only on
the IGD opregion to look for the VBT table. It is quite possible that
there are two VBT tables on your machine, and the one that I parse
right now is unmaintained. Look at the dev/drm/intel_bios.c, function
intel_parse_bios(), the #if 1 block.

Second, iic bus glue for DisplayPort is not yet finished. Since you
have DisplayPort connector reported as present, it might affect you.
Probably not since machine did not paniced on driver load.

Feel free to submit patches, or wait until I get to the issues.
Right now the priority is to get VM changes into tree, and stabilize GEM.