xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Wed Jan 5 23:48:45 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 23:04, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> I don't mind too much if stuff like the camera, the finger print reader

Camera works fine, but not in Skype, though. Finger print reader is
detected by sane-find-scanner, but I doubt there is a driver for it.

> or the card reader does not work, as long as 3D acceleration and

Card reader works, even if it is not very fast, 3D acceleration works.

> suspend/resume are stable. The only other thing that would be very

suspend/resume work, even though that is only possible for a few month
now. Since then, it has never failed to resume for me, but I rarely use it.

> useful to me is to be able to use the TouchPad to scroll (either using
> the right edge or two-finger scroll). Should this work?

Edge scrolling works reliably, two-finger scrolling and other two-finger
gestures basically work for some reason unknown to me simply with
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" in /boot/loader.conf -- but they are not
really usable with this setup. Probably, I would have to use the x.org
Synaptics driver, which did not work immediately due to the combo track
point/touchpad device as far as I remember.

> What kind of battery life do you think I should expect using the Nvidia
> GPU and the 6 cell battery (if the CPU load is minimal). Lenovo mentions
> "Up to 4.8 hours of battery life", but it will be less than that
> obviously without switchable graphics...

I do not think you will get anywhere near 4.8 hours. It depends very
much on tweaking as in http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption ,
turning off wlan, lowering brightness, sending the HD to sleep, and so
on. With just the CPU tweaking and not disabling any devices, you will
probably not even reach 2 hours. I have never tried to optimize that.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik