[CFT] Xorg 7.5.1

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:22:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Martin Wilke <miwi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Oy boys and gals,
>
> The Xorg T(m)eam is happy to announce the next round of Xorg fun! The X-Server
> has been patched to the latest 1.7.X series, drivers and fonts have been
> updated to the latest versions, but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE
> (yet), but it looks good for now, as kib@ is working on that, so we hope the future
> will be better for us. This update includes some components from Xorg 7.6 with a lot of
> improvements, and it seems that the performance is much better than the old version.
> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.
>
> We hope you will enjoy the new stuff and give us a lot of feedback. We will start an
> exp-run tonight and depending on how much feedback we get, we plan to commit this
> update by the first weekend of March. A note for ATI users, the driver was updated to
> 6.14.0, so you may need to add some stuff to your xorg.conf in the "Section "Device""
>
> Option "int10" "on"
> Option "BudType" "PCIE"
> Option "RendrAccel" "on"
> Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
> Option "DynamicPM" "on"
> Option "DRI" "on"
>
> So to get the xorg stuff you will need to:
>
> run
>
> svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev
>
> A small merge script to merge the svn checkout into the real portstree
> can be found here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge
>
> The script is a modified version of the kdemerge script. Please set the
> KDEDIR variable to the path of your X.org ports.
>
> After merging, run one of the following command, depending on which tool
> you use to manage your installed packages.
>
> portupgrade -a \*
> portmaster -a
>
> Please report any problems and issues to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.
>
> I would like to thank:
>
> Beat Gaetzi
> Dima Panov
> Koop Mast
> Eitan Adler
>
> Without these people the Xorg update would still not be ready now.
>
> PS: Please don't send us mails with 'xorg update dosen't' work.
> If you send us a report, please include the latest Xorg.conf
> Xorg.log, uname -a output and pkg_info output. Thanks.
>
> Happy Updating!
>

> - --
> +-----------------oOO--(_)--OOo-------------------------+
> With best Regards,
>                Martin Wilke (miwi_(at)_FreeBSD.org)

Working well here -- I see and "feel" noticeable improvement in screen
drawing and interactivity with window items. Page scrolling in Firefox
seems faster. Of course, it could be rather subjective :)

An interesting thing as well, which I wasn't expecting: ACPI
suspend/resume support has dramatically improved in speed and
resilience. It takes just about a second for the display to come back
on after resuming, where it would take between 3 to 5 seconds prior to
the update. Cool :)

A big "Thank You" to all of you!

-Brandon