R: Setting up xorg, the quick and dirty method (was "Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool")

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Dec 30 01:53:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> Hi Garrett;
>
> --- Gio 29/12/11, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>> cd x11/xorg
>> make config-recursive
>> make install
>> # An hour or so passes by on a fast machine
>
> This is the part I specifically want to avoid. No
> one downloads a DVD to have to build X11 as a port.
>
>> echo 'dbus_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
>> echo 'hald_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
>
> Of course this I can do but it's something
> the package should do.
>
>> service dbus start
>> service hald start
>> startx
>
> Unfortunately this is usually not enough. In the
> case of VirtualBox, you have to check this:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

What more did you have to do?

Installing xorg and enabling/starting dbus and hal is all I did on a
fresh install of 9.0-RC3 amd64 in VirtualBox just now.

> The HAL part is not at all obvious and it is not
> fun to have to check this stuff on the web.

It is in the Handbook X11 config section.  Or you can turn off
AutoAddDevices in xorg.conf and hal is not needed.  That's also in the
Handbook X11 config section.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html