R: Setting up xorg, the quick and dirty method (was "Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool")

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 29 23:26:03 UTC 2011

Hi Garrett;

--- Gio 29/12/11, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> > Getting X11 to run on virtualbox from a FreeBSD 9.0
> > CD installation is pretty much a nightmare. Is there
> > something about it in the users handbook? A wiki page
> > about setting up X11 on FreeBSD would do it too.
> > Perhaps we should write one.
>
> There is a chapter in the handbook [1], but what I've
> learned from the last go-around setting up X11 4 months
> ago, is that it's smart to do:
>
> cd x11/xorg
> make config-recursive
> make install
> # An hour or so passes by on a fast machine

This is the part I specifically want to avoid. No
one downloads a DVD to have to build X11 as a port.

> echo 'dbus_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
> echo 'hald_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

Of course this I can do but it's something
the package should do.

> service dbus start
> service hald start
> startx

Unfortunately this is usually not enough. In the
case of VirtualBox, you have to check this:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

The HAL part is not at all obvious and it is not
fun to have to check this stuff on the web.

For those on this list wondering ... I am not
complaining, I was just commenting how horribly
difficult it became to install FreeBSD and X11
compared to the past when everything would install
fine with one floppy and no documentation ;).

I moved to PC-BSD.

Pedro.