xorg-dev + intel driver + KMS

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:13:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 02:30:48AM +0300, Andrey Kosachenko wrote:
> Hi, Konstantin,
>
> On 23.08.2011 11:59, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >The backtrace is not useful at all.
> >
> >You need to compile and install the server itself, ddx driver and libdrm
> >with
> >debug information, then get the backtrace.
> >
> >Also, check the kernel messages right after the server crashed.
>
> I second that.
> Similar issues observed over here (latest sources from CURRENT, amd64,
> all.8.1.patch + all instruction from wiki page are followed). Both (xorg
> and xorg-dev) are affected (though I'd like to admit that with legacy
> xorg from standard ports tree (in comparison to xorg-dev) crashes
> happened way more often).
Does it happen with VirtualBox, or not ?

> gdb backtrace:
> http://pastebin.com/ZzpTHar9
>
> Xorg.log:
> http://pastebin.com/s2bgpF07
>
> messages log content (around Xorg crash):
> http://pastebin.com/g3qHvNyB
>
> hw.dri.0.info.i915_error_state: no error state collected
>
> PS:
> what interesting is that mentioned core dump is somewhat outstanding.
> Saying that I meant that earlier all crashes I saw (~15 for the last
> week) happened around *uxa_put_image() (the same place described in
> thought you are not interested in them (it is not a kernel stuff).
>
> Anyway, if you consider the info above helpful, need to acquire more or
> smth. just let me know.

Again, the backtrace is not useful. To make it useful, debugging symbols
must be compiled into the dso loaded into the process. I highly suspect
that the real backtrace ends at the frame 10.

Try to start with compiling rtld/libc/libthr with debugging symbols.
It is enough to do
cd $SRC/libexec/rtld-elf
make obj && make all install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
cd $SRC/lib/libc
make obj && make all install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
cd $SRC/lib/libthr
make obj && make all install DEBUG_FLAGS=-g

uxa faulting might be an indicator of the bug in the KBI of the new
Intel driver, but may be a genuine Xorg/ddx driver bug.

Is it only possible to reproduce the issue with VirtualBox installed ?
Note that VB has some ugly bugs with the handling of fictitious pages
in the kernel module, the area which is overly important for the GEM
and which is patched by the drm patch.