Compilation libX11-1.3.3 error

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 30 08:28:43 UTC 2010

Pierre, Philippe <philippe_pierre at mentor.com> wrote:
 > I tried to compile the package libX11-1.3.3 on a freebsd v 6.0 and got
 > an error.
 > [...]
 > ./configure.lineno : 5470 : Syntax error : word unexpected (expecting
 > ")")
 > Script "configure" failed  unexpectedly

I can't reproduce the problem on my system, so it must be
something specific to your system.  Maybe something in your
environment?

Are you sure that your ports (and the ports infrastructure)
are up to date?  Also, note that FreeBSD 6.0 is 5 years old.
It's not entirely unlikely that some current ports don't
work correctly anymore on such an old system.  Please read
this information:

http://www.freebsd.org/portmgr/policies_releng_6.html

Therefore it might be worth a try to update to a more recent
version of FreeBSD.  I recommend 8-stable or -- if you want
to stick to releases -- 8.1.

(It's also very important to know that 6.0 is not supported
by the security team anymore, and it most probably contains
quite a few bugs and holes!)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman