Using XOrg on a FreeBSD Server

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 16 22:05:27 UTC 2010

Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
 > Some older servers have little memory.  X servers hog memory:
 >         Some have memory leaks I've heard,
 >         mine just starts bloated, `top` shows SIZE=167 Meg,
 >         RES=73548K, but doesn`t leak worse after that.

Here's mine:

 PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES  STATE  C TIME  WCPU COMMAND
1273 root       1  44    0  312M  274M  select 1 4:20 0.00% Xorg

But it doesn't actually use that much RAM, because the
process contains multiple mappings of the frame buffer
and other device memory.  According to procstat(1) and
a bit of awk (*), the device mappings are 290 MB, so
only 22 MB are left, which isn't really that huge (this
box has 4 GB RAM).

Best regards
   Oliver

(*)
# procstat -v 1273 \
  | awk '$10 == "dv" {s += $3 - $2} END {print s / 1048576}'
289.828

"The most important decision in [programming] language design
concerns what is to be left out."  --  Niklaus Wirth