libxcb message - is it still relevant

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Mon May 31 02:21:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Carlos A. M. dos Santos
> <unixmania at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
>>> As far as I could tell xcb is currently the default Xlib. Is the
>>> following message that libXcb is experimental still true?
>>
>> No, but if the - informal - experiments I made are correct the claims
>> about "dramatic improvements in speed" are an exaggeration.
>
> It would be nice if the message were removed.
> About the speed - what kind of experiments did you perform?

Mostly ran x11perf with and without XCB enabled and compared the
results. Unfortunately the test was not complete because it led the X
server to crash[1]. Not a surprise, considering the miserable state of
Xorg regarding QA.

1. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2009-December/009261.html

--
Not so young, but still crying out