Still getting hangs with Xorg 7.5

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri May 28 00:41:35 UTC 2010

I'm still getting hangs with Xorg 7.5. It has been nearly a month now, but I
still cannot find a solution. I may have to reinstall 8.0-RELEASE (to get the
7.4 back). I did not realize that 7.5 was not ready for consumption. Please
please please help me get a working system again.

After upgrading to the new X.org, I discover that KMyMoney will "hang" X11
anytime another window overlaps it. The other window can be from another app,
or one of kmymoney's own dialogs. It happens in the KDE4 desktop, as well as
in Blackbox. The "hang" behavior is that the mouse moves extremely slow, and
neither mouse clicks or keystrokes are effective. The only way out is to power
off the computer, or ssh in from outside. Very very annoying.

 What makes this weird, is that this happens even when running KMyMoney
remotely from a Linux box! This is the only KDE3 program I have, but I suspect
it may apply to other KDE3 apps. It also happens with OpenOffice.org when
opening the template dialog.

 Any clues?

 xorg-7.5
 xorg-server-1.7.5,1
 kmymoney2-1.0.3_2
 8.0-STABLE
 radeon driver"

I Have attached my xorg.0.log. I know next to nothing about Xorg quirks, but
the last line looks suspicious: "[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably
stuck in an infinite loop."

Subsequently, I have discovered that OpenOffice will hang my X session too.

Please help if you can.

--
David Johnson