I am...unimpressed with this newest upgrade of X

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue May 18 19:52:28 UTC 2010

On 2010-May-17 17:15:20 -0400, "J. Altman" <freebsd-announce at chthonic.com> wrote:
>On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 06:04:12AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> I agree that Xorg quality has gone downhill since the 6.x series
>
>6.x FreeBSD, or 6.x X?

Xorg 6.x

>I only know that suddenly, at least two applications are crashing. My
>post to -questions basically asks if anyone else is seeing the same
>issue; so far, no one else seems to be seeing the issue with
>Seamonkey.

If no-one else is seeing the issue then it would seem to be something
related to your upgrade or choice of ports options.  If you want more
concrete answers, you need to provide more details.

>I can understand (and have lived with) non-critical things failing;
>but it seems that Intel and ATI GPUs are not non-critical.

Which specific GPUs?

>If security was not an issue, then I hope it is not decided that it
>was a case of seeing something shiny that led to the decision to
>upgrade X on FreeBSD. IMO, the trailing edge is a comfortable
>place. But I can understand the pressure that might be applied to
>maintainers by early adopters of new shininess.

The newer Xorg is needed to support newer GPUs - vendors continuously
"ugrade" their GPUs and the newer GPUs need new code to support them.
Unfortunately, the Xorg project doesn't bother much with ensuring that
Xorg still works with older GPUs and so there are usually regressions
and POLA violations.

>Doubtful. That would require multiple machines.

You can build/install in a jail, chroot or (if you have ZFS) clone and
then creatively use symlinks for testing.  Given the scale of the ports
changes since late March, rebuilding from scratch will take a similar
amount of time to upgrading and has a lower risk of misbehaving in
obscure ways.

--
Peter Jeremy