I am...unimpressed with this newest upgrade of X

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon May 17 21:54:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, J. Altman wrote:

> I only know that suddenly, at least two applications are crashing. My
> post to -questions basically asks if anyone else is seeing the same
> issue; so far, no one else seems to be seeing the issue with
> Seamonkey.
>
> I have no idea if it's an issue for the FreeBSD maintainers; the
> Seamonkey maintainers; or the X maintainers. Seamonkey has not changed
> in some time; X has. So I suspect it's the X maintainers, most likely,
> that will need to investigate and push relevant changes downstream to
> FreeBSD.

Seeing as how there have been recent sweeping changes to jpeg, xorg, and
now GNOME and KDE, it would be nice to verify exactly where the problem
lies.  A failed upgrade might be at fault, or even a successful one.
pkg_libchk from the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port is worth running.

>> Note that there was a "call for testing" for Xorg 7.5 in mid-March
>> which allowed some of the rough edges to be corrected before it was
>> actually committed.
>>
>> You might like to consider taking part in similar testing in future.
>
> Doubtful. That would require multiple machines.

Or multiple hard drives.  Or even just an additional partition for a
test install.

The nice thing about prerelease testing is that it gives you an early
warning if there's a compatibility issue with your actual hardware.