Xorg 7.5, XFCE4 and radeon

Jimmie James jimmiejaz at gmail.com
Wed May 5 01:32:36 UTC 2010

On 05/04/10 17:03, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010, Jimmie James wrote:
>
>> Along with not being to start xfce4 many times,
>
> The workaround is to deinstall xfce4-session, or just keep trying until
> xfce starts.

This let's me start XFCE4

>> I've also lost the resolution of 1600x1200 using any driver. Using the
>> VESA driver I can get 1280x1024 and start xfce4 all the time, using
>> the radeon, ati or radeonhd, 1600x1200 is "washed out".
>>
>> All of this was working fine before the Xorg update. I can supply more
>> information if needed.
>
> First, try starting X without an xorg.conf. It should use radeon and at
> least give you an Xorg.log which identifies problems.

This gives me 1600x1200 @ 24bpp, however after a minute, or a few apps
started, Xorg takes up 100% CPU and locks up the box. With the old
config file, I still get the washed out look at 1600x1200. Oddly, if I
only set 1280x1024 or lower, it wants to default to 1600x1200.

Without a xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/aiKzS62d
With xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/w8UsHBV6
xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/Zjh4FakN  (I'm tweaking to get it
working, so it may not be 100% with the log file)

--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job
depends on not understanding it." -- Upton Sinclair