[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 19:21:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:44:14 -0600, Martin Wilke <miwi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Call for Testing Xorg 7.5
>
> Howdy!
>
> We're happy to announce that Xorg 7.5 is ready
> for public testing.
>
> The ATI and Intel drivers were patched to work with
> the new server, please report any problems to us!
> The drivers for Vesa, NV and NVIDIA have been tested
> thoroughfully and seem to work fine.

Works very well with GNOME 2.29.x, x11/nvidia-driver and 8-STABLE (i386)
so far. It was a clean installation.

> A note to FreeBSD 6.X users: Unfortunately you'll have
> to compile gcc 4.2+ first because the X.org Team doesn't
> support gcc 3.X longer, We're strongly recommand you to
> update your System to 7.X or above.
>
> Please take a look on our Wikipage. There you can find
> the svn repo to checkout X.org ports.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ModularXorg/7.5
>
> A small merge script to merge the svn checkout into the real
> portstree could be found here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge
>
> The script is a modified version of the kdemerge script.
> Please set the KDEDIR variable to the path of your X.org
> ports.

I didn't use this script, which I use marcusmerge. That way I can use the
unmerge option.

# svn co http://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev
# find xorg-dev -name .svn | xargs rm -rf (I can edit in marcusmerge for
.svn later by copy your script)
# sh marcusmerge.sh -m xorg-dev

Cheers,
Mezz

> After merging please try
>
> portupgrade -af \*
> portmaster -af
>
> Please report any problems and issus to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.
>
> Thanks to beat@, rnoland@, fluffy@ for their help.
>
> Happy Updating!
>
> - - Martin
>
> - --

> |  PGP    : 0xB1E6FCE9  |  Jabber : miwi(at)BSDCrew.de  |
> |  Skype  : splash_111  |  Mail   : miwi(at)FreeBSD.org |
> |	Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest!		|

FreeBSD GNOME Team