[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 14 16:50:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 20:10 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org>
>> wrote:
>>         Can you try the attached patch and verify that AGP attaches
>>         and reports
>>         correctly.  I will try and see if I can enable drm on this
>>         chip with the
>>         current driver, or import version 2.9.1 of the driver this
>>         weekend.  You
>>         won't get drm with the 2.9.1 version, but it would be better
>>         than vesa.
>>
>> With the patch, AGP reports like this:
>>  root at kg-v7# dmesg | grep agp
>> agp0: <Intel Ironlake (D) SVGA controller> on vgapci0
>> agp0: detected 32764k stolen memory
>> agp0: aperture size is 256M
>>
>> How do I verify that it is reporting correctly?
>
> Ok, now that agp seems to be working... I have created a port for the
> 2.9.1 version of the Intel driver.  You will need to uninstall the
> existing intel driver and install this one.  You still won't have drm,
> but should be a good bit better than vesa...
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xf86-video-intel29.tar.gz
>
> Please let me know how it goes.  You will likely want to use UXA
> acceleration with this driver.

UXA might be needed for the Intel 2.7 driver, too.

The xorg 7.5 update installed okay on my AA1 netbook.  Existing
xorg.conf specified EXA.

With Intel 2.7, xfce4 showed no icons and would reliably signal 11 by
choosing Settings/Appearance/Fonts, the point size, and then the scroll
up button.

With UXA, it works.  Composite works with both 2.7 and 2.9, but all
screen updates are pretty slow.  With composite disabled in xfce4's
Window Manager Tweaks/Compositor/Enable Display compositing, xfce4 is
usable.

Thanks!