intel video driver problem

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:31:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Larry Gingras <larry at cybent.net> wrote:
> I have a problem with acceleration features on my graphic adapter.
> I have (according to Xorg.0.log) Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 965GM
> (it is ASUS laptop X80L).
> When acceleration is enabled, some parts of windows sometimes became
> garbled. It seems like parts of video memory is littered. Image is only
> restored when affected regions is completely redrawn, minimize-restore of
> window do not restore garbled region (but image inside garbled region become
> different, it become part of desktop or something like that).
> I tried to disable everything that use acceleration (disable composition in
> KDE, etc), even disable DRI but if acceleration is enabled in xorg.conf this
> bug remains. If I disable acceleration (with Option "Accel" "off") -
> everything works fine.
> I tried to play with various options in xorg.conf but there are not many
> options to play with. Driver just ignores a lot of options (such as
> VideoRam). I tried change AccelMethod, but only EXA works for me (XAA and
> UXA make Xorg halt on starting graphic mode, I just have blank black screen
> and everything stop, I cannot switch back to console or kill X server).
> Only completely disabling acceleration make things better.
> I use FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, xorg 7.4, and intel video driver 2.7.1 (it is
> latest version currently present in ports).
> I'm not sure it is bug in xorg driver or in kernel support (i915 and drm
> modules, btw I mention these are not loaded if acceleration is disabled).
> It seems to me that it is some sort of memory allocation or access issue.
>
> Please advice possible solutions.
>
> BTW I think driver is severely outdated now. intellinuxgraphics.org have
> 2.11.0 now. I tried to download it but I cannot build it (I think it is for
> linux only and must be ported to FreeBSD).

I believe Xorg 7.5 is available via ports, perhaps upgrading to the
most recent version of both Xorg and the Intel driver (2.7.1_3) will
remedy some of your issues.

I will say that the overall quality of open-source Intel graphics
drivers are highly fluctuating it seems.

However, the Xorg setup on my Intel-equipped machines is running well,
although I don't require extraordinary power. The FreeBSD "team"
working on Xorg is rather short-handed, and can't be expected to keep
up with the most current developments of either Xorg or the
constituent pieces (like the Intel driver). Volunteers are always
welcome...

-Brandon