freebsd7 (and 8), radeon, xorg-server -> deadlock or so

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 10 15:11:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 12:29 +0200, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > After updated the xorg* and dri* and dependency, the system going to
> > deadlock at second start of xserver. I think it is not an uniqe issue,
> > as others wrote them at freebsd-x11:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009370.html
>
> I have a similar problem with ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (r250) and
> FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 i386 (dmesg is at [1]). The system hangs when I
> run Xorg with xorg.conf obtained by `Xorg -configure' and do either of
> these:
>
> * pkill Xorg
> * close xorg via ^C and start it again
> * close xorg via ^C and kldunload radeon
>
> I did not try using 'option "DRI" "OFF"' though, I will this evening.
>
> Unfortunately I can't currently say if it works under different
> conditions, since after a number of hangs I switched to VESA. But if
> anyone is interested, I'll investigate further and will provide any
> additional information -- just name it.

I have a strong suspicion that the issue is with bus_dma.  If this is a
pci based card, then it is trying to allocate 32MB of contiguous
physical ram when the drm device is opened.  This usually succeeds the
first time that the driver opens the device, but later, after memory has
become fragmented, this can become an issue.  As I have mentioned, I
have code that reworks this whole process and I'll try and make a patch
available soon, but my I don't have a lot of time now, so it might be
the weekend before I can rebase the code and get a clean patch.

robert.

> [1] http://tx97.net/~magv/dmesg-t40.80-p2.txt
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD