VGA Arbiter

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Fri Aug 6 23:27:22 UTC 2010

I seem to be running into the problem where FreeBSD doesn't have a
kernel VGA arbiter. After upgrading to FreeBSD 8.1 and X.Org 1.7.5
(from FreeBSD 8.0 and X.Org 1.6.5) I keep getting these warnings and
errors in my Xorg log:

  (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
  (EE) Aug 06 17:42:49 NVIDIA(2): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
  (EE) Aug 06 17:42:49 NVIDIA(GPU-1): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

I have a nVidia Quadro NVS 440 which is a single PCI-Express card with
two GPUs onboard. It pretends to be two different cards. I cannot get
both GPUs to start. I have 3 monitors connected, but any attempts to
use more than one GPU fails.

First question: Is there any hope of getting multi-card stuff and Xorg
1.7 working?

If not, simply downgrading xorg-server to 1.6.5 doesn't work. Does
anybody have a list of the xorg stuff I need to downgrade? (Or is it,
shudder, all of them?)

   -- Doug