Compose key oddity

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 04:20:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> on 27/04/2010 07:39 John W said the following:
>>
>> Is there some other configuration file(s) that are influencing things?
>
> ~/.XCompose
> And also your keyboard layout, of course.
> Perhaps when you press '.' button you indeed get dead_abovedot symbol in X?
>
> What's your keyboard layout?
> What happens if you just pres <dot> <dot> (without Compose key)?
> You can also run xev and see what keyboard events get generated on various key
> presses.

I have no ~/.XCompose file, so that's out.

If I press <dot> <dot>, I get two periods, so it can't be a dead key,
it seems. I think a dead key will not register the first time you
press it, if I understand correctly.

Running xev (thanks for telling me about that one!) gives interesting output.
KeyPress for keycode 115  (which is rwin)
KeyRelease for keycode 115
KeyPress for '.'
KeyRelease for '.'
KeyPress for '.'
KeyPress for '…'    <-- It sees the ellipsis!
KeyRelease for '.'

In fact the DOT ABOVE character doesn't show up in xev's output at all.
And yet it shows up everywhere else I try it.

To my surprise, I haven't yet found a good way to simply print out
what my current keyboard layout is...
Also I'm not sure if there's a separate layout for X and for the OS in
general, I think they're different.

For OS keyboard map:
I don't have anything defined in rc.conf, so I'm just using the kernel
default, I think.
However, looking at /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/NOTES, I see these lines:

    # Options for atkbd:
    options         ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP       # specify the built-in keymap
    makeoptions     ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP=jp.106

Can that really mean that I'm using a japanese keyboard layout by default?
If so, that seems wrong for me. I will keep trying to find a way to
simply determine what layout is currently being used - there must be
some command for it.

For X side of things, I see this in my Xorg.0.log:
    (**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    (**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
    (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    (**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"

I couldn't find a better way to determine my current in-use keyboard
map. Perhaps there's some command for that? 'setxkbmap -print' had
some cryptic output.

>> This is FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE, with Xorg 7.4.2; X.Org X Server 1.6.1, in
>> case that matters.
>
> I don't think that this is a FreeBSD-specific issue.
> There is a specialized xkb mailing list:
> http://listserv.bat.ru/xkb/List.html

Thanks for that link, I'll nose around there.

-John