[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Apr 5 01:29:30 UTC 2010

On 2010-Apr-04 07:59:19 -0500, Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 10:00 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Problems:
>> 1) DRI (and apparently EXA) report as disabled:
>> (EE) RADEON(0): [pci] Out of memory (-12)
>> (EE) RADEON(0): [pci] PCI failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
>> (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
>> (EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
>> (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration disabled
>>
>> There was a thread in mid-February suggesting that this is caused by
>> a lack of contiguous RAM.  I've tried running a process that just
>> allocates 1GB RAM and then exits (leaving me with >900MB free space).
>> Whilst this doesn't guarantee any large contiguous RAM blocks, it
>> seems odd that there wouldn't be any.
>
>Give this a try:
>
>http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm-map_sg_rework-8.patch

First, I tried just rebooting and that worked so the problem would
appear to have been contiguous memory.  I have upgraded to a recent
8-stable including your patch and there is no obvious regression (ie X
still starts with DRI enabled).  I will leave X off for a couple of
weeks and see if it will still start after RAM has fragmented a bit.

Thanks for the quick response.

--
Peter Jeremy