Radeon Mobility 9700 hangs on FreeBSD

Pedro Azevedo pazevedo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 21:45:31 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I installed FreeBSD, and PC-BSD as well, and when I try starting X the
screen just goes black and the CPU usage increases a lot, I can't use any
keys, I tried ctrl+alt+f1 but the screen remained black, I had to power down
the computer to get it to reboot.
I tried this on FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x and the results were the same. However
on Linux there were no problems. (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva,
CentOS)
I tried getting some help on Freenode, and someone told me the problem could
be FreeBSD's DRM implementation and directed me to this mailling list for a
possible solution.
I realize this isn't the most extensive bug report, but I wasn't able to get
a Xorg.log, still if you can help it's appreciated.

Regards,
Pedro Azevedo