HD4550 DRI issues

Richard Kolkovich sarumont at sigil.org
Mon Oct 5 16:54:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 06:57:14PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:

> > i386 + mtrr disabled doesn't do jack.
> >
> > Fresh amd64 install, installed xf86-video-ati and ran your DRM test.  Contents?  Empty.
>
> Ok, that seems like good news then...

Yeah - everything is working now on my fresh amd64 build.  I guess I need more RAM now to justify
it.... ;)

One issue I had was some artifacting with the drivers in ports (both ati and radeonhd).  There would
be either the tops of characters missing or a horizontal line left over when the cursor moved by.
Also, when moving a window, I could generate some lines from the border.  These were hanging around
until I forced the entire screen to redraw (by switching virtual desktops).  This seems to be
an r600/driver issue, as I installed xf86-video-ati from git, and it works just fine now.

Just thought I'd point that out in case anyone else sees something similar...

Robert: thanks for all the help getting this working.  I owe you a pint or two. ;)

--

Richard Kolkovich
sarumont at sigil.org