xorg ports roadmap?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 26 15:45:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 02:34 -0800, vehemens wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 November 2009 15:14:30 Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:20:22AM -0800, vehemens wrote:
> > > I don't belive that there any plans, which is why BSD will be stuck using
> > > an dated x11 release.
> >
> > portmgr had asked that no large changes be committed during the 8.0 QA
> > process.  I can't think of too many other changes that would be "larger
> > changes".
>
> So could you enlighten us with the plan and schedule for updating the x11
> ports once the freeze is lifted?

Whatever plan there is, is mine... I do intend to make the updates to at
least 7.5 base set before too much longer, however as I have stated
there are issues for various chips that need resolving.  I don't have a
solution that I am happy with for either intel or nouveau right now,
radeon will just work.  As was also mentiioned... I get lots of grief
when updates are made, which doesn't help my motivation for the massive
amount of work required to get this done.  The effort requires not only
updating the main chip drivers, but lots of obscure drivers that have 3
users, as well as a full pointyhat run and generally fixing lots of
non-xorg ports with the new infrastructure.

robert.

Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD