re-probing DDC/EDID

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 27 13:33:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 02:30 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > > * Running "xrandr -q".  I previously provided the output from having
> > >   done so, noting that it appeared to be reporting the monitor info
> > >   pertaining to the older monitor -- thus presumably cached at
> > >   startup -- rather than anything which might have been produced
> > >   by rerunning the probe after I had switched to the new monitor.
> > >   There are at least three resolutions provided by the new monitor
> > >   which are not in the "xrandr -q" report, and two of them (720x400
> > >   and 640x350) are smaller than the old maximum of 1280x1024 and thus
> > >   presumably should not have been suppressed based on being too large
> > >   to be usable by the currently-running server.  Furthermore, the
> > >   342mm x 271mm screen dimensions reported by "xrandr -q" are those
> > >   of the old monitor; the new one is about 517mm x 324mm.
> >
> > Watch xorg.log while running xrandr -q.  If you have a virtual set
> > large enough to display the new larger mode then it will show up...
>
> A "tail -f" on /var/log/Xorg.0.log showed nothing while running
> "xrandr -q" in a different xterm.

Hrm, it does with the nouveau driver that I'm running right now... I'll
have to pop in a radeon and see, but that would be the "right" way to
handle this.  As I said, as long as your front buffer is large enough to
cover the new size it should show up and work.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD