Whither X?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 16 15:45:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 21:09 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >  Intel is on the brink of just not working at all
> >if I don't get at least GEM ported.
>
> I've seen references to GEM (and messages about it not existing) but
> don't know anything about it.  What is it and what is involved in
> porting it?

GEM is one of two kernel memory managers.  The other is TTM which was
the first attempt.  TTM is also now being redeveloped based on the
experience gained from the first attempt.  GEM is Intel's solution and
the 2.7.x series driver will be the last driver to work without
UXA/DRI2/GEM and possibly KMS (Kernel Mode Setting).  The radeon and
nouveau drivers are expected to use a TTM backend while providing a GEM
API to userland.  Last I heard, the openchrome driver will be TTM, but
I'm not as tuned in to that development as I still don't have via
hardware.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>