Whither X?

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sat May 16 11:30:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:09:38 +1000
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

> I am not saying that.  I am saying that the Xorg project needs to stop
> breaking existing functionality and unnecessarily changing existing
> behaviour.  Things like inverting the sense of "DontZap" or making the
> default screen blank with no cursor have no benefit and just waste
> people's time.

That hs been discussed a number of times on various mailing lists and
forums.  You should really politely take up that decision up with the
Xorg folks.  Complaining on here isn't going to do any good (though,
very likely, complaining on the Xorg mailing list won't either, but at
least that's a more applicable place).

<snip>
> I'm not expecting you to do this.  It would be nice if the Xorg
> project did some regression testing though

They do.  Probably much more than you realize.  Bear in mind one
important thing, though...  For the most part, they are all using
Linux, not FreeBSD.  They either use Linux because they want to or, for
quite a few developers, because hardware vendors pay them to.  AMD and
Intel pay open source developers to write Linux drivers and to improve
the Xorg stack for their linux users.  Thankfully we have someone like
Robert who is working so hard on trying to maintain a level playing
field.

Adam