xorg input (hald/AllowEmptyInput) confusion among users

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Thu May 14 16:17:32 UTC 2009

Hi!

After 7.2 release, I'm seeng a huge flow of new users trying FreeBSD.
This is great, but also I see a lot of questions regarding input
device configuring in xorg - I believe that really sploils first
FreeBSD experience for many users.

So, I've got a litte idea on how to improve the situation.

As I understand, currently user is required to do one of following:
- Make sure hald is running (if xorg is compiled with it)
- Add AllowEmptyInput "0" to xorg config otherwise

Thus, extra action is ALWAYS required from user.

The idea is to eliminate those.

The second case can be easily fixed by patching xorg to generate config
already with AllowEmptyInput included, in case it's built without
HAL support.

The first case is more complicated and only things I can come with are
hacks. For example, something like that:

xorg-server/Makefile:
	pre-isntall:
		${GREP} -q 'hald_enable.*[yY][eE][sS]' /etc/rc.conf || ( ${ECHO_CMD} "You should ..."; ${FALSE} )

xorg-server/pkg-install:
	/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start >/dev/null 2>&1

	if ! ps auxww | grep -v grep | grep -q hald; then
		echo "hald is not running..., you should"
	fi

Another solution is to make xorg server just run hald itself.

Any comments?

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru