Xorg crash with xf86-video-intel-2.7.0

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 8 15:20:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:10 +0400, Denis Shaposhnikov wrote:
> #3  0x285f21eb in _fence_emit_internal ()

Whatever your configuration is, it is trying to use UXA and DRI, which
won't work.  You need to set Option "AccelMethod" "EXA".

You *should* be able to use UXA without DRI and in the testing I've
done, it is faster for at least some workloads.  You won't get hardware
3d though.  I know that I tested UXA without DRI on git master, I don't
recall if it works quite right in 2.7.0.

On Intel, DRI2 requires UXA and the combination also means that it
requires GEM, which we don't have.  It really should reject this
configuration or fallback more gracefully than crashing X.  It attempts
to use the fake buffer manager from libdrm and currently I don't see any
way that this can work.

So, valid configurations for Intel are:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "DRI"