Radeon 9250 DRM in 7.2-RELEASE

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon May 4 18:45:48 UTC 2009

--On Monday, May 04, 2009 12:41:16 -0500 Steve Polyack <korvus at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I upgraded my workstation (via source) to 7.2-RELEASE from 7.1-RELEASE
> about a day ago.  After the upgrade procedure, I'm having no luck with
> using DRM in X11.  It worked fine before and gave reasonable
> performance.  Now when I start up X with DRI enabled, both of my screens
> display garbage.  The mouse pointer is also not visible.
>
> I'm using a PCI Radeon 9250.  I can get more details if necessary.  I
> can also try to revert the kernel DRM module code to 7.1.
>
>  From dmesg:
> drm2: <ATI Radeon RV280 9250> on vgapci2
> vgapci2: child drm2 requested pci_enable_busmaster
> info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528
> info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
> info: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
> info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 2 usecs
> drm2: [ITHREAD]
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Read /usr/portsUPDATING wrt xorg.  There were major changes in the config file
and peripheral detection between 7.1 and 7.2

You need to make sure that both dbus and hald are running.  Remove the mouse
and keyboard sections from your xorg.conf file.  They are no longer needed.
Make sure to remove any line that references RgbPath.

This may help to get the mouse working (ignore the DontZap line):

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "DontZap" "No"
        Option "AllowEmptyInput" "No"
EndSection