Xorg 7.4 crashes on exit

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 30 07:53:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:53 +0100, N.J. Mann wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>

> [Moved from svn-src-all@ to x11@ to merge threads.]
>
> In message <1237999344.1828.6.camel at balrog.2hip.net>,
> 	Robert Noland (rnoland at FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 09:29 +0000, N.J. Mann wrote:

> > > Is this a possible cure for the problem I reported here:
> > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2009-February/007670.html
> >
> > It could be... interrupts were not working correcty, especially on
> > Intel.  There is likely still an issue with restarting X that I need to
> > look into, but I've not seen a problem vt switching or shutting down.
>
> Okay I tried out your recent changes this morning.
>
> First I did a svn update to r190540 to bring my sources up to date and
> then I built a new 7-Stable world and kernel and installed them.  Sadly,
> I still got the video mode corruption on exiting X or switching from X
> to a VT.  I then merged all the changes from head/sys/dev/drm to
> stable/7/sys/dev/drm and tried again.  Unfortunately, I got the same
> results.  (Xorg.log and dmesg.boot available if required.)  The changes
> I merged were: 190020, 190021, 190022, 190023, 190123, 190124, 190125,
> 190163, 190164, 190166, 190170, 190282, 190399, 190400, 19401 and
> 190433.  Some of these were probably not relevant, but I did everything
> to make it easier for me.  (I am very much still testing the water with
> svn and this was the first time I tried doing a merge!)
>
> Any ideas where to go from here?

Which chip do you have?  I have a patch now that fixes vblank issues, at
least I can't break it.  This corruption issue on shutdown still exists,
but I've never had a problem vt switching.  I'm told that something is
still wrong with interrupts on g45 though.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD