Anyone have an xorg.conf to share for an nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 20 21:29:28 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 20:26 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> The video card in my rather-patched laptop, which has been a 64MB ATi
> card for at least a couple of years or so, appears to show signs of
> (thermal?) stress.
>
> Among the partial carcasses of laptops from which I've been scavenging
> parts are a couple of nVidia cards.  I tried one of them, and the
> "bloom" effect on the screen when I tried powering the machine up
> brought back memories of the business trip where that card died (near
> the end of the trip).
>
> But I have a newer nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] card that
> appears to function OK (at least in text mode), but if I try to run
>
> 	Xorg -configure
>
> the attempt errors out; I've attached a typescript.
>
> I'm pretty current on my ports -- I update my ports tree nightly & run
>
> 	portmaster -ad
>
> daily; here are a few relevant ports:
>
> xorg-7.4
> xorg-drivers-7.4
> xorg-libraries-7.4
> xorg-server-1.5.3_7,1
> xf86-video-nv-2.1.12_2
>
> (It's a laptop; I have a lot of ports installed.)
>
> Also, I build my ports while running FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE; presently,
> that's:
>
> FreeBSD g1-35.catwhisker.org 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE #675 r190140: Fri Mar 20 05:06:57 PDT 2009     root at g1-35.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386
>
> Anyway, I was thinking that if I could get a copy of a working xorg.xonf
> file for such a beastie, that would at least get me up & running again.
>
> Of course, if anyone has other ideas on getting this bootstrapped, I
> welcome them.

So, looking at the log, at least some of your drivers are out of date
and not built against the current server.  Probably because they are
either dead drivers, or not longer build.

Start by removing the cyrix, imstt and nsc drivers and see if configure
will run then.  With current ports, the nv driver should dtrt.  FWIW,
the only video drivers that you probably need are nv and possibly vesa.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD