[HEADS UP] drm merged to -STABLE

Greg Rivers gcr+freebsd-stable at tharned.org
Tue Mar 17 16:37:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:20 -0500, Greg Rivers wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Robert Noland wrote:
>>
>>> I just merged drm (Direct Rendering) from HEAD.
>>>
>>>        - Support for latest Intel chips
>>>        - Support and fixes for many AMD/ATI chips r500 and below
>>>        - Support AMD/ATI IGP based chips (rs690/rs485)
>>>        - Lots of code cleanups
>>>        - Lots of other fixes and changes since the existing drm
>>>          is 2+ years old
>>>
>>> If you are experiencing a "garbled" screen with certain pci/pci-e based
>>> radeons, I have another patch in HEAD that isn't included yet.
>>>

>> I have a workstation with a [Radeon X600 (PCIE)] card.  The X display has
>> been garbled since these DRM updates went in in January, and remains
>> garbled with 7.1-STABLE as of yesterday.  As a work-around, I'm running
>> the up-to-date 7.1-STABLE system (both world and ports) with a
>> 7.1-RELEASE-p2 kernel.  The display is fine with the old kernel and X
>> works great; I even see dramatically improved performance with the new
>> Xorg and EXA acceleration.  Your work is much appreciated.
>>
>> But the garbled display with the recent DRM still plagues me.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Could you try the attached patch.

Unfortunately, there is no noticeable difference with this patch.

> Also, I'm guessing that this is a PCI based card, right?  Also, it isn't
> an integrated model?

Yes, this is a PCIEx16 card in a HP Compaq dc7600 desktop PC, not a
motherboard integrated adapter.

Thanks for your help.  I'm willing to spend some time debugging this;
please let me know if there's more information I can provide or other
tests or patches I can try.

--
Greg Rivers