Some issues with video-intel-2.7.1

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Wed Jul 1 10:01:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recently installed a new system from the 200906 8.0 snapshot ISO.  I'm
having a couple of issues when running latest Xorg/Xserver/video-intel
from ports:

* The only way to restart X without killing the vtys is by using
ctrl+alt+backspace. If my window manager exits normally, when Xorg
restarts it leaves the vtys with horizontal stripey garbage on the
screen.  Switching to/from Xorg/vtys using ctrl+alt shortcuts works fine
though.

* Xorg only runs reliably if used straight after a fresh boot of the
system.  After Xorg is restarted everything just starts
pausing/stuttering at random, even the xdm login screen.

For the second point, I've attached two Xorg.log files.  The first is
the log file straight after a fresh boot, and the second a log file
after a Xorg restart.  The interesting bit is if they're diffed.

My Xorg gets spawned by xdm which gets spawned by init.  My package
versions:

xorg-server-1.6.1,1
xf86-video-intel-2.7.1
mesa 7.4.4 (libGL, libGLU, dri)

Something else of interest is that my kernel logs this on Xorg restarts:

<kern.crit> kernel: error: [drm:pid1619:i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR*
trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe 0

Thanks,
Aragon