Selected X11 Apps Suddenly Stopped Working

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Jan 29 21:40:22 PST 2009

In the past week or so, I've ripped xfce4 out of a server and replaced
it with blackbox.  I also did some portupgrades ... and then the fun
began.  Certain X apps - GNU emacs and wireshark notably - no longer
work.  In both cases, I start the program from an xterm, and the
screen just sits there.  This is true whether I install from ports
or the most recent packages tree.  emacs will start with the -nw
option.

I went back and ripped all of X out of the system, and reinstalled
it from the metaport in the current packages tree.  This did not
help - same problem.

This is a FBSD6.4-STABLE system as of 1-19-2009 running on an Intel
mobo with a 3GHz Pentium-D.

Ideas as to what's going on or how to debug this would be appreciated.
I'm guessing it's some library incompatibility/missing but I haven't
a clue where to being looking ...

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com