Preferred mouse/keyboard settings?

Manuel Chaviano manny at computer.org
Wed Jan 28 01:03:16 PST 2009

El Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:59:08 +0100
Szilveszter Adam <sziszi at bsd.hu> escribió:

> Hello Warren,
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:21:12PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> > What are the recommended settings for mouse and keyboard with the new
> > xorg?
>
> For me, they are precisely the opposite: moused on and "AllowEmptyInput"
> set to "off". Hald does not work at all for me; after startup, it just
> spins taking up 100% CPU time. And anyway, I do not use any software
> that would profit from it.
>
> I am running on -CURRENT however, this may complicate the issue
> somewhat.
>
> I am also still using an older config file, and I am not sure I could do
> without; I need the option "NoTiling" for the intel driver, otherwise it
> falls back to software-based rendering even for 2D and uses an SW
> cursor, which is just not good (TM).
>
> I have a 855GM graphic chip.

Just finishing the ordeal in a Fujitsu Lifebook P2110 using xf86-video-mach64
Sharing what it made it work (after several searches and trials):

I- Updating Xorg from 7.3 to 7.4:

1) cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
   make config
   disabled HAL support

2) portupgrade -rf libxcb

3) portupgrade -aP
   (I knew that binary packages for Xorg were not available yet, still it speed up everything else)

II- xorg.conf:

1) added the line

   Option  "AllowEmptyInput"       "Off"

   ...in the Section "Server Layout"

2) removed

   "RGBPath"

   ...from the Section "Files"

3) Modified Section "Modules" as:

   Section "Module"
           Load  "extmod"
           Load  "dbe"
           Load  "glx"
           Load  "dri"
           Load  "freetype"
   EndSection

III- Left /etc/rc.conf as it was. Still contains the line:

     moused_enable="YES"

- --
Bye now...

Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters.
- -- Margaret Halsey
       __
      ///      Manuel Chaviano
 __  ///